Affordable Winter Saving Strategies
Basic seasonal energy conservation is often a matter of mitigating airflow. When the cold winter air finds its way into your home through cracks and crevices, your heating system has to work that much harder to keep you warm, costing you valuable dollars. To make things trickier, that warmed air can escape through the same spaces that the cold air is entering your home through.
You don’t need to spend a whole lot of money to save a whole lot of money. When it comes to conserving your energy usage this winter, it’s the little things that count. These energy-saving do-it-yourself strategies cost little to no money to implement, but can save you a large sum over the course of the season, and if continued, many winters after.
- Check for and correct air leaks around windows, doors and electrical outlets.
- Replace any cracked glass in your windows.
- Repair weather stripping and caulking to prevent air leakage.
- Re-glaze your window glass to seal up air leaks (glazing is the putty that seals the glass to the frame). This can be done with a putty knife or a glazing gun.
- Use a bottom seal that can be attached to the bottom of the door to stop cold drafts.
- Keep radiators dust-free for optimal efficiency.
- Turn your thermostat back when you aren’t home. Turning your thermostat back 10 to 15 degrees for 8 hours can save about 5% to 15% a year on your heating bill.
- Seal off your attic-circulating fan with polyethylene and tape.
- Make sure your ceiling has at least six inches of thermal insulation.
- Wrap your pipes to guard against heat loss and prevent them from freezing.
- Keep your ductwork in good repair with duct tape or duct insulation.
- Open your shades and drapes during the daytime to let the sunlight’s natural warmth into your home.
A few affordable investments and a bit of time shoring up your home’s weak spots can provide surprisingly big savings on your energy usage this winter. Click here for other useful tips that can be put to use year-round. Another way you can boost your home’s energy efficiency is to have your system regularly maintained. Contact Tomasso Brothers for more information about or to sign up for our maintenance and service plans.