Check up on Your Tank!
Having your supply of heating oil safely stored on your property is one of the many benefits of using Oilheat for your home! Whether your tank is sitting quietly in your basement or is buried underground, it isn’t immune to normal wear and tear. Although storage tanks are built to last for years, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye out for any signs that your oil storage tank is exhibiting some telltale signs of a fuel release. Here are some things to take note of:
- Dieback on any vegetation around your tank, indicating contamination
- Cracking or sinking of the tank base and supports
- Broken, cracked or missing gauges
- Dampness or staining around joints of all visible pipework, valves and filters
- Cracking splitting, bulging of paint, and oil around seams and weld locations for metal tanks.
Another crucial thing to remember is to make sure your tank is always full – yes, even though the winter is over and especially through the warmer months! This will help prevent sludge buildup that can occur when the space inside your tank allows water to accumulate and mix in with the oil that remains. These sediments can get into your heating system and cause problems next winter. If you have reason to believe your tank is close to or is experiencing a release, contact Tomasso Bros. today – we’re tank removal experts and we’ll be happy to help!